In 1991, an innovative idea led the way...
In 1991, Hopelink, Friends of Youth, HealthPoint and Youth Eastside Services came together with an innovative idea: that by bringing a group of nonprofits into the same space to combine and share resources, the beneficial impact for the community would multiply. They purchased a former strip mall in downtown Redmond and Together Center (TC), the first co-located nonprofit center in the nation, was launched.
Today, more than 20 nonprofits serve the Greater Eastside from Together Center's site near downtown Redmond. TC’s co-located model fosters a diverse network of trusted service providers who offer programming for comprehensive, whole-person support. Our 20+ nonprofit partners provide critical services for 30,000+ culturally and socioeconomically diverse East King County residents each year.
But we were compelled to do more. So much more.
Today, innovation compounds... and an even Bolder New Vision is ahead
In 2018, with the mortgage paid off, the old strip mall at the end of its useful life, and substantial land equity built, Together Center’s board and nonprofit partners committed to leveraging our $18M in land value to create an even greater positive impact. A strategic planning study found resounding community requests for more human services and affordable housing – and a bold social purpose real estate project was born.
In March 2021, Together Center broke ground on a first-of-its-kind redevelopment and model.
The new campus will feature a full suite of wrap-around social services paired with affordable housing, together in one transit-oriented location.
With an expanded Together Center human services hub on the ground floor and 280 units of truly affordable housing on the upper levels, this community asset will provide ready access to both social services and income-accessible housing – to comprehensively address social, health and housing inequities for the Greater Eastside and its ethnically and socioeconomically diverse population.
Ground Floor: An Expanded Together Center
An expanded and enhanced nonprofit services hub preserves space for nonprofits to provide critical services to the East King County community for decades to come. The new Together Center will include:
- New, dynamic and purpose-built 49,000 sq ft human services hub which delivers 25% more space
- Featuring a full suite of critical human services, from a community healthcare and dental clinic; to mental health, behavioral and substance abuse support; to therapies for children and families of diverse abilities; to job training and cultural resources; and many others
- Space for more nonprofit providers to join our collaborative service community
- Each year, 30,000+ of our neighbors in need will visit TC to access human services and will benefit from co-located providers who can provide more effective care, on-the-spot referrals and a whole-person approach
- Conveniently located 3 blocks from the Redmond Transit Center and 5 blocks from the future light rail station while also offering ample underground parking
With thoughtful features to build community & advance all our region's nonprofits
This campus is built for nonprofits, by a nonprofit with over 30 years experience in community building and nonprofit collaboration.
- Teaching kitchen, open to all regional nonprofits, so they can help clients develop cooking and nutrition skills with live classes
- Social-purpose coworking space with drop-in meeting and workspace for regional nonprofits of all sizes to collaborate with a vibrant community of like-minded groups
- 2500 sq ft conference and event space, open to all regional nonprofits, designed specifically for nonprofit events, trainings, and multicultural gatherings
- Community art gallery to engage diverse artists and host rotating local art exhibits for the public
Upper Levels: 280 Units of Truly Affordable Housing
The need for truly affordable housing options in our region is greater than ever before. One third of jobs in Redmond have salaries under $50,000 per year and 40% of seniors who rent in Redmond pay more than 50% of their income in housing. That's why Together Center is building 280 new apartments on our site, to be owned and operated by our housing partners, Inland Group and Horizon Housing Together we are building:
- 200 new units of workforce housing for those at 50-60% of the Area Median Income (AMI)
- 80 new units of low-income housing for those whose income is 30-50% of the Area Median Income (AMI), including onsite, culturally-competent case management to help residents stay housed
- Featuring a family-friend unit mix where 62% of the apartments are larger 2- and 3-bedroom sizes, to better serve families and multi-generational households
The units will be located in two contemporary residential towers on the upper floors of Together Center’s site, situated over the ground floor TC human services hub.
Find Out More
- Sign up for our newsletter (We promise not to spam you - receive approx. 4 emails/yr):