In 1991, Hopelink, Friends of Youth, HealthPoint and Youth Eastside Services came together with an innovative idea: that by bringing a group of nonprofits into the same space, combining and sharing resources, the beneficial impact for the community would multiply. They purchased a former strip mall in downtown Redmond and Together Center, the first co-located human services center in the nation, was born.
Today, more than 20 nonprofits serve the Greater Eastside from Together Center's site near downtown Redmond. Our co-located model fosters a diverse network of trusted service providers who offer programming for whole-person support. Our 20 nonprofit partners provide critical services for 30,000+ culturally and socioeconomically diverse East King County residents each year.
But we were compelled to do more. So much more.
Stepping Into the Future
In 2018, with the mortgage paid off, the old strip mall at the end of its useful life, and substantial land equity built, Together Center’s board and nonprofit partners committed to leveraging our $18M in land value to create an even greater positive impact.
A strategic planning study found resounding community requests for adding more affordable housing – and a bold social purpose real estate project was born.
An Expanded Together Center
We plan to expand and enhance our nonprofit services center, creating a space where staff and members of our whole community can thrive. The new center will include:
- The new dynamic and purpose-built 49,000 square foot first floor delivers 25% more space
- More nonprofit providers can join our collaborative service community
- Each year, 30,000+ East King County residents will visit Together Center to access human services
A Campus Centering Nonprofits
This campus is built for nonprofits, by a nonprofit with over 30 years experience serving the nonprofit community.
- Customized and flexible agencies offices and spaces that meet our partners' unique needs and missions
- Teaching kitchen, open to all community nonprofits so they can help clients develop skills with live classes
- Social-purpose coworking space with drop-in meeting and phone rooms and workspace with flexible memberships for regional nonprofits of all sizes to collaborate with a vibrant community of like-minded groups
- 2500 sq ft conference space designed specifically for nonprofit events, trainings, and multicultural gatherings to be one with ability to set as one large event space or combination of up to 5 smaller spaces with collapsible walls
- Shared staff lounge for all nonprofit staff using Together Center
- Community art gallery to engage multicultural artists and host rotating local art exhibits for the public
280 Units Affordable & Workforce Housing
There is a greater need for affordable housing options in our region than ever before. That's why Together Center is committing to building 280 new apartments on our site. We are building:
- 80 new units of permanent supportive housing for those whose income is 30-50% of the Area Median Income
- 200 new units of workforce housing for those at 50-60% of the Area Median Income
Units will be located on the upper floors of Together Center’s site. It includes two contemporary residential towers over a shared space, where Together Center nonprofit organizations will be accessible at the ground level.
Parking will be underground to create a more pedestrian-friendly walking space.
Across the site, two residential courtyards, plenty of designated areas for plants, and several green zones will create a warm, welcoming space that residents and Together Center staff alike can enjoy.